Experienced Software Developer (Remote)
DHIS2 is hiring an experienced developer for our Android software team. This is a full-time position, working remotely with a team that is primarily based in Spain. Join us to be part of an open-source digital health project with worldwide impact.
About this role
HISP Development Center in Spain is working together with the HISP Centre at the University of Oslo (UiO) on the design and development of a next-generation DHIS2 Android application in the context of national health systems in developing countries.
We are looking for a software developer to work on the analysis, design and coding of a suite of mobile solutions to support data capture and management in these countries. The DHIS2 android application uses a library, the DHIS2 Android SDK, that contains the logic of the application and the local database. One of the main objectives of this position would be to support and expand the functionality of the DHIS2 Android SDK.
About DHIS2 and HISP
DHIS2 is an open-source platform for data collection, management, visualization and analysis. Today, DHIS2 is the world’s largest HMIS platform, in use in more than 75 low and middle-income countries. The core DHIS2 software development is managed by the HISP Centre at the University of Oslo (UiO). HISP is a well-funded not-for-profit project that operates within UiO as an independent software development organization. The HISP Development Center in Spain works in collaboration with the HISP Centre as part of the core DHIS2 software team.
With us you get a chance to work on problems which really matter: Improving the health and well-being of people around the world through access and use of information. Our platform is used in more than 90 countries worldwide and has the scale and adoption which will allow you to make an impact globally.
We give you a lot of flexibility and freedom and there is no micro-management or strict hierarchies. At DHIS2 we believe you will do your best work if you fully understand the context in which the system operates. As a result you are encouraged to engage directly with our projects, take part in the design process and get feedback from users in the field.
What you’ll do
- Join a team of 2 developers to work on the development of the DHIS2 Android SDK.
- Contribute to the design of the mobile database.
- Participate in the development of the interface between the DHIS2 Android SDK library and Android applications.
- Participate in the testing and QA processes.
- Join the development of the Android application (front-end) when needed.
Who you are
- Excellent knowledge of Java (at least 2 years of experience working on Java related projects)
- Excellent analytical skills
- Databases design and SQL
- Fluent in English
- Design patterns
- Agile methodologies
- Self-learning motivation
- Ability to work remotely and independently
Nice to have:
- Experience in working in open source projects
- Experience developing mobile applications
- Good knowledge of CI tools as Jenkins or Travis.
- PWA, Flutter
- Fluency in French and/or Spanish
- Interest on the use of technology for development and social change
Location and Employment Details
This is a remote position working with a team that is primarily based in Spain. Ideally, candidates will be located within the Central European Time Zone +/- 2 hours.
This is a full-time position on an annual renewable contract, including 22 days of vacation in addition to Spanish public holidays.
Review our listing on SmartRecruiters for additional information and application guidelines: Apply on SmartRecruiters