Linux Administrator (Remote – Asia region)
DHIS2 is hiring a Linux Administrator who will be responsible for designing, implementing, and monitoring the infrastructure for deployments of DHIS2 in the Asia region. This is a full-time, remote position based in Asia.
About This Role
As Linux Administrator for the Asia region, you will be responsible for guiding and supporting national deployments of DHIS2 and related software across the region. This can range from direct administration of servers to working in a mentoring, training and supporting role to national IT teams.
The Linux Administrator will be part of a global team of experts doing similar work across different regions. He/she will be expected to participate fully in the working of the team, participating in ongoing learning, testing and development of deployment and management tools as well as contributing to training materials.
We are a well-funded not-for-profit project tasked with building the open-source DHIS2 platform, the world’s most widely-deployed health information system. The project is based at the HISP Centre at the University of Oslo (UiO) where we operate as an independent software development organization.
With us you get a chance to work on problems which really matter: Improving the health and well-being of people around the world through access and use of information. Our platform is used in more than 90 countries worldwide and has the scale and adoption which will allow you to make an impact globally.
We give you a lot of flexibility and freedom and there is no micro-management or strict hierarchies. At DHIS2 we believe you will do your best work if you fully understand the context in which the system operates. As a result you are encouraged to engage directly with our projects, take part in the design process and get feedback from users in the field.
What you’ll do:
- Fault finding, analysis and of logging information for reporting of performance exceptions
- Proactively monitoring system performance and capacity planning
- Create and modify scripts or applications to perform tasks
- Provide input on ways to improve the stability, security, efficiency, and scalability of the environment
- Conduct training and contribute to training materials related to server deployment and management
Some travel may be required once COVID-19 travel restrictions have been lifted.
Who you are:
- Passionate about working on a meaningful, impactful, and challenging global project
- Advanced scripting skills using Bash and Python
- Previous working experience as a Linux Administrator for 3+ years
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or similar relevant degree
- In depth knowledge of Ubuntu Server 18.04/20.04
- In depth knowledge of containers (focused on LXC, but docker knowledge will be considered also)
- Hands on experience with PostgreSQL (focused on taking backups, restoring, monitoring)
- Hands on experience with Java JVM (monitoring)
- Knowledge of Ansible will be considered an advantage
- Knowledge of configuration and administering DHIS2 will be considered an advantage
- Strong problem solving and communication skills
- Fluent in English to a professional level (written and oral)
- Located in Asia, preferably Southeast Asia
Location and Employment Details
Remote (Indochina Time Zone +/- 2 hours). This is a full-time position on a 1-year renewable contract.
Review our listing on SmartRecruiters for additional information and application guidelines: Apply on SmartRecruiters