Senior Product Manager, Platform (Remote)
DHIS2 is hiring a Senior Product Manager for our global team. This is a full-time position, with the option to work remotely or from Oslo, Norway. Join us to be part of an open-source digital health project with worldwide impact.
About This Role
The Platform Product Manager is responsible for defining and directing the implementation of the software roadmap for the platform product stream within DHIS2. The platform product stream encompasses the core DHIS2 data model, authentication system, REST API, and multiple web-based “DHIS2 applications” which allow system implementers and users to configure and customize their DHIS2 systems.
DHIS2 is developed platform-first, allowing it to be adapted to local, regional, and national contexts around the world as well as to serve as the foundation of various programs addressing health, education, logistics, and more. For this reason, the platform product steam for which the Platform Product Manager will be responsible is critical to DHIS2’s continued success as a global public good.
We are a well-funded not-for-profit project tasked with building the open-source DHIS2 platform, the world’s most widely-deployed health information system. The project is based at the HISP Centre at the University of Oslo (UiO) where we operate as an independent software development organization.
With us you get a chance to work on problems which really matter: Improving the health and well-being of people around the world through access and use of information. Our platform is used in more than 90 countries worldwide and has the scale and adoption which will allow you to make an impact globally.
Working at DHIS2 with our diverse, remote-first core software team (currently 50+ strong from 26 countries) and 16 regional implementation hubs around the globe offers interesting technical challenges with meaningful impact. For me, this is a priceless combination. Every line of code we write or new product feature we build will be used by hundreds or thousands of healthcare professionals to administer life-saving and life-changing health services to millions of people all over the world. We also offer competitive compensation, flexible working hours and locations, and opportunities to travel. We hire smart people and give them the freedom to innovate and to work on what interests them most.
Austin McGee – DHIS2 Deputy Tech Lead
We give you a lot of flexibility and freedom and there is no micro-management or strict hierarchies. At DHIS2 we believe you will do your best work if you fully understand the context in which the system operates. As a result you are encouraged to engage directly with our projects, take part in the design process and get feedback from users in the field.
What you’ll do:
- Work with implementers, users, partners, and DHIS2 technical leadership to define and implement the software roadmap for the platform product stream
- Collaborate with the product management team across product streams to plan software releases and implement cross-product features
- Work with technical leadership and the development team leads to scope, specify, and build the features defined in the roadmap
- With development team leads, manage an agile product development process
- Synthesize feedback and input from various stakeholders, balancing multiple priorities and complex problems
- Translate product and functional requirements into developer-ready specifications and user stories
- Communicate, internally and externally, the platform roadmap and development progress
Travel will be necessary, once COVID-19 travel restrictions have been lifted.
Who you are:
- Passionate about working on a meaningful, impactful, and challenging global project
- Experienced (ideally 5+ years) with large-scale software products
- Experienced managing a large multidisciplinary team
- Comfortable working remotely with a geographically distributed team
- Someone with a strong technical background
- Fluent in verbal and written English
- Strong skills in clear technical writing and communication
- Familiar with agile software development processes
- Knowledgeable about and experienced with building generic platform products
- Experience in public health and international development is a plus
- Experience building technology for use in low-resource settings is a plus
- Experience using, implementing, or supporting production DHIS2 instances is a big plus
Location and Employment Details
You can work remotely or from our office in Oslo, Norway. If working remotely, you’ll need to be in the Central European Time Zone +/- 2 hours.
This is a full-time position on an annual renewable contract. We are focused on building long-term contract relationships. Our contracts support flexible work arrangements, and we offer the option to renew for longer contract periods over time.
Review our listing on SmartRecruiters for additional information and application guidelines: Apply on SmartRecruiters